June 30, 2008

This Weekend

This weekend was really fun. We started off (I think on Thursday) going to Brooklyn bridge. We walked across the top and got some really cool pictures. That is such a beautiful bridge. I was also impressed with City Hall - even though the area is really junky, the building itself is amazing. It has this huge dome arch where cars probably passed. Deven also showed me a historical "skate" park. It is a brick ramp - and people have brought in rails and boxes and stuff. It is crazy because it is super junky to and I guess a while back the police wanted to clean it up, but the skaters talked them into leaving it. It is right under the bridge.

After the bridge we went down to Ground Zero. It was really amazing how quite it was, very somber. But I was really surprised that there was nothing down there. I thought they would at least have a plaque or a sign, or something. But it really is just a massive construction site. I didn't really fully even get where we were until we bought a little book from a Chinese lady that had pictures of the area and of the day it happened. It was also very nuts to see planes flying over the area. I had no idea it was a normal plane route. The locals talk about that day a lot here - I guess a lot changed after that.

On Friday, I went to the MoMa for "Target Free Friday Night" which started at 4. It was really cool to see pieces of work that I have seen and heard the artists' names. I enjoyed it a lot more then the Met. Although the Met is amazing, it is a little overwhelming. But the MoMa is pretty basic - you don't have to look at a cup and try to see the significance of it. There was a special exhibit I knew Deven would love (which ended today) so I went and met him at work - and we went back. It was an exhibit by Olafur Eliasson (the same man who made the "waterfalls" in the East River. It was so pretty - he did a lot with light.

After we left the MoMa, we went to the Top of the Rock (the top floor of the Rockefeller Tower). It is cheaper then the Empire State Building - plus it is really cool to SEE the Empire State Building. It was cool to see the city from way up high. I was surprised that there weren't as many lights as I expected. I guess I was imagining more of Vegas. It was neat though.

On Saturday we slept in - and then went down to Greenwich Village. I hadn't really wanted around the Village - that was cool. If you want shoes, I know where to take you! We also found the famous Grey Dog Cafe, and Kelly Rippa's favorite NY treat - cream puffs from Beard Papas. WOW they were tasty. It was cool to see Washington Square Park - although VERY lame because about 3/4th of the park is fenced off under construction. It started pouring on us in the afternoon - and the bottom of out pants got soaked - so we made out way back to the apt. We later met up with Deven's cousin Cari -and went down to see the waterfalls in the East River. They are temporary art pieces which are very neat. When we were walking back we stumbled upon the Little Italy Festival - which was fun to see.

Sunday- after church Deven and I walked to the Frick. The Frick is a smaller museum on 5th Ave. It was so neat! This guy Clay Frick built this amazing house and had this amazing art collection gave it all to the city for a museum when he died. I really enjoyed this because the size isn't crazy - and it has a mix of styles and periods right next to each other. Plus they give you the audio commentary for free - and some of the pieces had really cool history. I would recommend the Frick to anyone who wants to see a museum - but doesn't have much time. We saw almost all the pieces (with commentary) in about 3 hours. Plus if you go on Sunday afternoons it's free!

So that is our really LONG weekend. It has been a blast! I'll try to post pictures later - but I wanted to write down everything before I forgot it all.

No comments: