June 3, 2008

I (insert desired mark) NY

We're finally together again...in the BIG APPLE!! I got here Saturday night, and Deven was able to meet me at the Subway station to help me lug my bags around the city. The next day we decided to walk over to Central Park (a short 5 mins walk from our place). How wonderful for me, all the Jews decided to have a parade to welcome me!

It was cool at first to see a parade going right down 5th Ave. But after about 4 hours or watching people in different colored shirts holding Israel flags walk down the street - and not being able to cross the street - it got kind of old. We walked over 24,000 steps (Mom gave me a pedometer) around central park and down 5th. It was really cool to get to know the area a little better. I have decided at any given time there must be 100+ activities going on in Central Park! OH, and we went and saw the building where the crane fell and killed two people - it is a block from our house!

Monday: I got "initiated" into living in New York. I had to do laundry at the laundry mat next door. It defiantly is a different "type" of person that frequents the laundry mat scene. A few aggressive people who wanted a dryer, just decided to get a dryer - they would dump out other's clothes the second the dryer time was finished, it they weren't there to claim them - I felt so bad for them!

After that thrilling morning I met Deven for lunch in Soho. It was fun going down the subway by myself - I think I sort of can figure it out! Deven is already a pro - he knows his stuff really well! He then showed me Studiocase. It is so great - an awesome fit for Deven. All the people are really nice and the place is very "hip" and modern.

When I left Studiocase I walked down the SoHo streets nearest Deven -and got sucked into almost every store. I can see now why people love shopping in New York! I kept thinking of different "destinations" I wanted to get to, and would get side tracked very easily.

I ended up wanting to see (and seeing) Madison Square Garden - walked down Time Square, and then theater row. It was really fun to see all the touristy stuff. After about 5 hours of walking (another 12,000+ steps) I really needed to go home. I went grocery shopping (again a shocking NY experience), griped to myself about the cost of everything (3 dollars for a tomato?) - and ended up home.

It was a great day - and made me really excited that I can see so much of New York and have time to not have to see it all in one day. I love that Deven is willing to work so hard, and is so talent - so we can have this opportunity.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF NEW YORK:
I (and my hair) hate humidity - and the locals don't even feel humid yet!
The air conditioner is one of the greatest inventions of all time
Every city needs a subway! What a slick way to get around
FOOD FOOD FOOD! Everywhere I turn there is a restaurant I want to try - and EVERYTHING looks and smells fabulous!
I need to learn to ignore "whiffs" of stink - because there are so many to comment on! But for those of you that know me - I have a hyper sensitive nose!
Everyone (including the Jews during the parade) use Milton Glasier's design of I heart NY - but with different marks. It is really funny! Disney's was my favorite - I mickeyhead NY. So cute!
Central Park is what parks are supposed to look like.

Okay - those are my first few days of New York!

No comments: