For Independence Day, we went to Washington DC. On July 2nd, at about 1:30am we made plans for the weekend - and left the next morning (very spontaneous, just the way we work I guess)! Deven had 2 days off for the holiday weekend. We took the Bolt Bus (a 4 hour drive with internet and nice seats) - and got a way nice room on Hotwire for a great deal. It was a great weekend.
DC (where we saw - downtown) is SO clean - and NOT stinky which was such a great thing to discover after being in New York! We also both were really impressed with the buildings (and obviously the history). Thursday we spent the afternoon seeing all the Monuments. I loved seeing the WW2 monument because it wasn't built the last time I went to DC. I think this time around I was more interested in all the symbology of the monuments.


Later that day we met up with our tour guide, our friend Pat. He was a great sport driving us, and showing us the metro system (which was really nice - confusing, but nice). It was great to see a familiar face and get caught up with a good friend.

Friday the 4th of July, we woke up and went to the parade. Before the parade started they had a reading of the Declaration of Independence in front of the archive department. This was really cool because it got us in the patriotic spirit. I loved the parade - lots of bands from different states, and all the different armed forces groups were represented. Plus, President Bush was there - okay, not really...but I really wondered where he was?

Later that night we went to "The Capital Fourth" which is a concert they have on the great lawn before the fireworks. It was neat to be there - in spite of the rain. Huey Lewis, Taylor Hicks, and other performers put on a great show. It was a spectacular site to see the fireworks over the Washington Monument.

Saturday morning we went to Arlington Cemetery, saw some of the surrounding area of Alexandria, and grabbed the bus home in time to do the laundry for Sunday. It was a fabulous 4th of July - very appropriate to be in a place with so much patriotic spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment